To apply for admission, you should arrange to send the following to Western:
- A completed application
The graduate application will provide Western with the following:
- Biographical information
- Contact information
- Statement of academic intent (if applicable)
- Academic background
- Electronic transcripts from Ontario universities/colleges (see below for information on transcripts)
- Professional background (if applicable)
- Referee information (your references are collected electronically upon receipt of application)
- Proficiency in English Scores (if applicable) (you must have testing service send score electronically to Western)
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language www.toefl.org/ (TOEFL). Western's TOEFL ID is 0984.
- The International English Language Testing Service www.ielts.org/ (IELTS) of the British Council.
- The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/testing/melab (MELAB) of the University of Michigan.
- The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment www.cael.ca/ (CAEL Assessment).
- Test Scores (GRE) (if applicable) Western's GRE ID is 0984.
- Application fee
• Additional application requirements as required by program
A sample of written work
List of publications
• One official academic transcript* from each post-secondary institution attended
Past or current students of The University of Western do not need to provide transcripts for their academic history at Western. This information will be obtained internally.
If you have attended or are currently enrolled at any Ontario university or college other than The University of Western Ontario you MUST use the electronic application process in order to request transcripts. These transcripts will be delivered electronically to each of the programs to which you are applying.
All other transcripts must be forwarded in hard copy to Western to complete your application.
*Western considers a transcript official only if it is received in a university envelope that is sealed and signed on the flap by the official person in the office issuing the transcript. If the transcript and degree certificate are not in English, a certified translation must also be included. (Non-English transcripts from institutions within Canada do not require a translation.)
All documents and transcripts submitted to The University of Western Ontario become the property of the University and will not be returned.
No application will be considered until it is complete. The responsibility rests with the applicant to ensure that all documents (e.g., transcripts, letters of recommendation, test results such as TOEFL scores, GRE scores) are submitted by the program’s deadline for application. Completed applications are evaluated by the program, which then makes recommendations concerning admission to the Vice-Provost of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Although individual programs may send provisional offers, the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies issues the official “Offer of Admission”.