print preview


According to Senate policies, academic counselling is compulsory for all undergraduate students. Each Faculty has assigned Academic Counsellors to work closely with students throughout the year. Students arrange for academic counselling by contacting their designated Faculty Dean's office [see listing below].

The Summer Academic Orientation program provides a special service for incoming first year students at which time students select courses. This special service for first year students is coordinated by the Centre for New Students from June to July and requires an appointment. Phone 519-661-3898 for an appointment.

If you are registered at an Affiliated University College, you should seek academic counselling through the appropriate Registrar's Office.

Arts and Humanities
University College 112G 519-661-3043

Spencer Engineering Building 2097 519-661-2130

Health Sciences
Bachelor of Health Sciences
Health Sciences Building 222 519-661-4119
3M Centre 2225 519-661-3086
Health Sciences Addition H128 519-661-3398

Information and Media Studies (Media, Information and Technoculture)
North Campus Building 240 519-661-3542

Don Wright Faculty of Music
Talbot College 210 519-661-2043

Science (including BMSc)
Western Science Centre 191 519-661-3040

Social Science
Social Science Centre 2105 519-661-2011

You should consult the Academic Counsellor in your respective Faculty about any academic concerns, including the following:

  • academic advice, course selection
  • course changes, withdrawals, special permissions
  • progression requirements and mandatory withdrawal
  • requests for academic accommodation for major illnesses or other problems that would affect your attendance and performance in courses
  • requests for special examinations or extensions on term-work
  • requests for Letters of Permission to attend other universities
  • appeal procedures
  • interpretation of Senate regulations
  • graduation problems

Student Responsibility for Course Selection

A student in a degree program must select courses in accordance with the published requirements. Many courses have prerequisites or require the approval of the Department. These requirements, and any enrolment limitations, should be noted carefully prior to registration. Substitutions for prescribed courses require the written approval of the Department and the Dean. Students registering in the Fall/Winter Session and intending to take second-term half-courses must register for those courses during the course registration period.

Students are responsible for ensuring that their selection of courses is appropriate and accurately recorded, that all course prerequisites have been successfully completed, and that they are aware of any antirequisite course(s) that they have taken. If the student does not have the requisites for a course, and does not have written special permission from his or her Dean to enroll in the course, the University reserves the right to cancel the student's registration in the course. This decision may not be appealed. The normal financial and academic penalties will apply to a student who is dropped from a course for failing to have the necessary prerequisites.