As of September 1, 2013, admission to this module is available only to students in degrees other than Bachelor of Medical Sciences (BMSc) degrees. Students registered in a Bachelor of Medical Sciences (BMSc) degree prior to September 1, 2013 may complete the Major in Medical Sciences. Students admitted to the BMSc Program after September 1, 2013 who are interested in an interdisciplinary Major should see the MAJOR IN INTERDISCIPLINARY MEDICAL SCIENCES (IMS).
Completion of first-year requirements, including a mark of at least 60% in each of the 3.0 (full or half) principal courses below:
1.0 course: Biology 1001A and 1002B, or the former Biology 1222 or 1223.
1.0 course: Chemistry 1301A/B and 1302A/B or 1100A/B and 1200B, or the former Chemistry 1020, 1050.
1.0 course from: Calculus 1000A/B or 1100A/B or 1500A/B, Calculus 1301A/B or 1501A/B, Mathematics 1600A/B or the former Linear Algebra 1600A/B, Mathematics 1225A/B, 1228A/B, 1229A/B, Statistical Sciences 1024A/B, Applied Mathematics 1201A/B or the former Calculus 1201A/B, Applied Mathematics 1413.
The following must be completed by the end of second year, with a mark of at least 60% in each half course:
0.5 course from: Physics 1028A/B, 1301A/B or 1501A/B.
0.5 course from: Physics 1029A/B, 1302A/B or 1502A/B.
It is recommended that the two half courses in Physics be taken in the Fall and Winter terms of the same academic year.
Notes for Admission Requirements:
1. Biology 1201A with a mark of at least 70% may be used in place of Biology 1001A, and Biology 1202B with a mark of at least 70% may be used in place of Biology 1002B.
2. Either the former Physics 1020 or 1024 with a minimum mark of 60%, may be used in place of two half courses in Physics listed above.
0.5 course: Biochemistry 2280A.
0.5 course from: Chemistry 2213A/B or 2273A.
0.5 course from: Chemistry numbered 2100-3999.
0.5 course from: Biology 2244A/B or Statistical Sciences 2244A/B, or the former Statistical Sciences 2122A/B.
1.0 course from: Biology 2290F/G, 2382B, 2581B.
3.0 courses from: Groups A and B (see below) with at least 1.0 course selected from Group A and no more than 2.0 courses from one subject area.
Group A: Anatomy and Cell Biology 3309, Biochemistry 3381A, 3382B, Biostatistics 3100A, 3110B, Epidemiology 2200A/B, 3200A, Medical Biophysics 3330F/G, 3336F/G, 3501F, 3503G, 3505F, 3507G, Microbiology and Immunology 2100A, 2500A/B, 3300A, 3400B, Pathology 3240A, 3245B, Pharmacology 3620, Physiology 3120, 3140A, or the former Epidemiology and Biostatistics 2200A/B.
Group B: Anatomy and Cell Biology 3319, Biochemistry 3385A, 3386B, 3390A, Epidemiology 3210B, 3315B, 3500A, Pharmacology 2060A/B
1. See UNDERGRADUATE COURSE INFORMATION for the course requisites and the BMSc website for information about constraints (priority and restricted access) for all basic medical science courses.
2. 3000-level courses from the subject areas in Groups A and B that do not appear in the lists above may be included in the Major only with permission of the IMS counselor.
3. 4000-level courses from the subject areas in Groups A and B may be included in the Major only with permission of the IMS counselor (a maximum of 1.0 4000-level course will be permitted).