Students interested in the BACHELOR OF MEDICAL SCIENCES (BMSc) PROGRAM should enrol in Medical Sciences First Entry. Medical Sciences First Entry is referred to as a Medical Sciences 1 in first year and Medical Sciences 2 in second year, and only students in Medical Sciences 1 who satisfy the requirements listed below may progress to Medical Sciences 2. Students in Medical Sciences 2 who satisfy certain conditions are assured admission to the BMSc Program in Year 3 (see ADMISSION TO THE BACHELOR OF MEDICAL SCIENCES (BMSc) PROGRAM).
It is anticipated that not all of the spaces available in Year 3 BMSc will be filled by the students in Medical Sciences 2 who satisfy the conditions for assured admission, allowing additional students to apply for admission to Year 3 BMSc. See ADMISSION TO THE BACHELOR OF MEDICAL SCIENCES (BMSc) PROGRAM for the conditions that must be satisfied by these additional students applying from the “competitive pool” for admission to Year 3 BMSc.
Medical Sciences 1 (Year 1):
1.0 course: Biology 1001A and 1002B.
1.0 course: Chemistry 1301A/B and 1302A/B.
0.5 course from: Calculus 1000A/B or 1500A/B
0.5 course from: Applied Mathematics 1201A/B, Calculus 1301A/B or 1501A/B, Mathematics 1600A/B (see notes below).
0.5 course from: Physics 1028A/B, 1301A/B or 1501A/B (see notes below).
0.5 course from: Physics 1029A/B or 1302A/B or 1502A/B (see notes below).
1.0 1000-level course from either Category A or Category B (see Breadth Requirements for Bachelor Degrees).
1. Modules in Medical Biophysics require either Calculus 1301A/B or 1501A/B.
2. The first-year physics requirement can be taken in either Medical Sciences 1 or Medical Sciences 2, with the exception that students interested in modules in Medical Biophysics must complete the physics requirement in Medical Sciences 1.
To progress from Medical Sciences 1 to Medical Sciences 2, students must:
Medical Sciences 2:
- Successfully complete a full load of 5.0 courses during the Fall/Winter of Medical Sciences 1;
- Achieve a mark of at least 60% in the first attempt at each of the half courses in biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics (if taken in Medical Sciences 1) listed above;
- Achieve a passing grade (mark of at least 50%) in the first-year course from either Category A or B;
- Not fail any course(s) taken during Medical Sciences First Entry (including summer sessions)
Medical Sciences 2 consists of a full load of 5.0 courses comprised of the remaining courses (usually 2000-level courses) listed in the Admission Requirements for the module(s) each student plans to pursue if admitted to the BMSc Program in Year 3, as well as optional courses. The conditions that must be satisfied by students in Medical Sciences 2 for assured admission to the BMSc Program in Year 3, as well as the conditions that must be satisfied by students in the competitive pool applying for admission to Year 3 BMSc, are outlined in ADMISSION TO THE BACHELOR OF MEDICAL SCIENCES (BMSc) PROGRAM.